THE DIRECTOR ACTUARIAL SERVICES IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE OVERALL MANAGEMENT AND TECHNICAL OVERSIGHT OF AN ACTUARIAL STAFF (FELLOWS, ASSOCIATES, ACTUARIAL CANDIDATES, AND/OR SUPPORT PERSONNEL) WHERE ACTIVITIES ARE CONCERNED WITH PRICING AND RATE DEVELOPMENT; OVERSEEING ASSIGNED ACTUARIAL STAFF AND PROJECTS AND DEVELOPING AND IMPLEMENTING SOUND ACTUARIAL POLICIES AND PRACTICES TO HELP HIGHMARK MEET ITS FINANCIAL OBJECTIVES; PROVIDING TECHNICAL SUPPORT FOR OTHER AREAS SUCH AS PRODUCT MANAGEMENT & DEVELOPMENT, UNDERWRITING & RATING, AND SALES.
- Manage all levels of Actuarial staff.
- Oversee the preparation of rate filings for large group, small group, direct pay, or senior products.
- Work with Underwriting and Rating, Sales and Product Management and Development to develop and implement appropriate rating strategies for group, direct pay or senior lines of business. Ensure that all strategies are in compliance with rate filings and applicable regulations.
- Provide advanced support for the claim reserve process.
- Provide assistance and risk management to the Product Management and Development area for pricing development of new products. Ensure that all new products are financially viable and stable.
- Determine underlying factors impacting pure premium trends for various products and regions. Monitor trends for use in rating. Identify any shifts in trend and take appropriate pricing actions.
- Other duties as assigned or requested.
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree.
- 10 or more years of experience in the actuarial or related field.
- 5 or more years of management experience and/or experience leading teams and/or projects of varying size and complexity.
- Attainment of the ASA (Associate) designation in the Society of Actuaries.
- Must be committed to pursuing actuarial exams and obtaining Fellowship in the Society of Actuaries.
- Member of the American Academy of Actuaries (MAAA).
- Bachelor’s degree in Actuarial Science, Mathematics, or Statistics.
- 13 or more years of Actuarial Experience.
- Ability to apply extensive knowledge of actuarial methods and procedures.
- Strong supervisory, communication, organization and project management skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the following actuarial proficiencies: In-depth knowledge of one or more of the following: premium rate calculations, required reserves, plan design, trend analysis, rate table construction, actuarial research, or systems development.
- Bachelor s Degree
- 10 years in the actuarial field
- 5 or more years of management experience.
- Preferred Health Actuarial experience.